Search This Blog

Monday, July 16, 2012

Jon Lord RIP - June 9th, 1941 - July 16th, 2012

RIP Jon Lord
9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012




Today I was completely devastated and extremely saddened to learn of the passing of Jon Lord, after he lost his battle with pancreatic cancer earlier today, Monday 16th July, 2012.

Jon's website made this statement today:

It is with deep sadness we announce the passing of Jon Lord, who suffered a fatal pulmonary embolism today, Monday 16th July at the London Clinic, after a long battle with pancreatic cancer. Jon was surrounded by his loving family.

Jon Lord, the legendary keyboard player with Deep Purple co-wrote many of the bands legendary songs including Smoke On The Water and played with many bands and musicians throughout his career.

Best known for his Orchestral work Concerto for Group & Orchestra first performed at Royal Albert Hall with Deep Purple and the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra in 1969 and conducted by the renowned Malcolm Arnold, a feat repeated in 1999 when it was again performed at the Royal Albert Hall by the London Symphony Orchestra and Deep Purple.

Jon’s solo work was universally acclaimed when he eventually retired from Deep Purple in 2002.

Jon passes from Darkness to Light.

Jon Lord 9 June 1941 – 16 July 2012.


Jon was best known for his work with Deep Purple, yet the man did so much more in contributing to so many other artists albums, as well as being an original member of David Coverdale's Whitesnake, playing on the band's album's Trouble, Lovehunter, Ready and Willing, Come and Get It, Saints and Sinners and Slide it In, as well as live albums during that period from 1978 - 1983. 
Fans of Whitesnake that only know of the later more successful in America period of Whitesnake, should seriously go back and check those earlier works out.

After founding Deep Purple in 1968, Jon Lord played on all ten of the albums they recorded before they split in 1976. Jon Lord alongside drummer Ian Paice, were the only two constant players through the turmoil that was Deep Purple.
He was also a part of the reformation in 1984 and played on a further six Purple albums before departing in 2002 to pursue his solo career after the constant touring became too much.

Outside of Deep Purple, Jon as I say contributed to so much great material, classical - Which was his passion first and foremost. - blues, rock, jazz and so much more.
Ashton, Paice and Lord's Malice In Wonderland was another great release, featuring the late Tony Ashton alongside the two founders of Deep Purple. He also played on many other albums, for other artists such as Bernie Marsden (Who was also in Whitesnake), but also albums by Nazareth, Sam Brown, Graham Bonnet (Rainbow, Alcatraz, M.S.G.), David Gilmour, Alvin Lee, Ian Gillan, George Harrison (RIP) and my all time hero Cozy Powell's (RIP) solo albums.

His solo work itself was so diverse, yet fans loved it!
   His solo albums such as Gemini Suite, Sarabande, Pictured Within and my personal favourite Before I Forget, are just outstanding works.

I was fortunate enough to have seen Jon play with Whitesnake a bunch of time and everytime, loved the sound and input the guy had on the band. Now that was classic Whitesnake!
I also got to see him with Deep Purple, although sadly never alongside Ritchie Blackmore in the classic line up, that for me would've been the ultimate!

Such a legend that I really cannot speak highly enough of and wish that I had got the chance to interview the man, sadly it wasn't to be.
In recognition of the great man, the least I can do, is share some of my favourite tracks by the man, that never failed to impress me and show his diversity.

Bach Onto This - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9OFZ9Mh7GA
(From Before I Forget - 1982)

Before I Forget - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PVhiB6M1D4
(Album title track - 1982)

Don't Break My Heart Again - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMh39qZ95iE&feature=fvwrel
(Whitesnake - 1981)

Solo / When A Blind Man Cries - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72jJh_e6eeg
(Russian bootleg recording - 1996)

Knocking At Your Back Door - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-SXYALnr0M&feature=related
(Live in Birmingham - England 1993)

The ultimate has to be this ... Forget the picture quality, listen to Jon play!
Highway Star - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgZSnAkQc4c&feature=fvwrel
(Live in Japan 1972)

Jon Lord, RIP you were, you are and always will be, the best!
My sincere sympathies and heartfelt prayers go out to your family and dear friends.


Those from the world of rock, that have been paying their respects are as follows:


Joe Lynn Turner (Rainbow, Deep Purple):
I am deeply saddened about the passing of Jon Lord ...I am proud and humbled
to have known him both personally and professionally ... and blessed to
share a special time with him. He was a true and gifted original ...a
Gentleman of the industry ...and he shall be greatly missed!
My sincerest sympathies to his family and relations...and to all of us who
have lost one of the great musicians of our time!...R.I.P. Jon...may God
hold you in his hands. --- Joe Lynn Turner



David Coverdale / Whitesnake:
All the members of Whitesnake & all at Whitesnake.com wish to express their sincere condolences to Jon's Family , Friends & Fans...David Coverdale said "It was an absolute joy & pleasure for me to know him & to work alongside him. He is missed already."


Glenn Hughes:
Friends: I have just landed in LA from London, to hear the sad news of the passing of our brother Jon Lord. I will miss him. Prayers please


Mick Box (Uriah Heep):
I was truly shocked to hear that Jon Lord 71, had passed away. Jon was one of the all time great, rock keyboard players, and composers, and he had the most amazing Hammond Organ sound ever.
  I have known Jon for many years dating back to the late 60's, and he was always the perfect gentleman, and great company.

The musical world has lost a giant, and his contribution to rock music will live on f...
orever.
  When people have asked me who was my favourite keyboard player, his name was always first on my lips.

Mick Box
URIAH HEEP
 
 
Neil Murray (Whitesnake):
Very sad to hear of the passing of Jon Lord, who I had the great pleasure of working with from 1978-82 in Whitesnake. Wonderful musician and a nicer person would be hard to find. R.I.P.
 
 
Stuart Smith (Heaven and Earth):
It is with great sadness that I heard that Jon Lord died today. I'm devastated. Jon was a real gentleman. My condolences go out to his wife Vicky and the rest of his family. What a loss. Rest in peace Jon. You'll always be remembered.
 
 
Keith Emerson (Emerson, Lake and Palmer):
"Farewell To A Gentleman.
 Jon has left us now but his music and inspiration will live forever.
 I am deeply saddened by his departure."
 - Keith Emerson.
 
 
Geezer Butler (Black Sabbath):
RIP Jon Lord...
  Very sad to hear of Jon's death, following his battle with the demon cancer. One of the great musicians of my generation. Tony Iommi recently worked with Jon, and said what a lovely bloke he was. I met him a few times, but never got to work with him. Blessings.


Brian Downey (Thin Lizzy):
Very sad news. R.I.P Jon Lord


Dann Huff (Giant):
We are all deeply saddened by the news that Jon Lord has passed away today at the age of 71 after suffering a pulmonary embolism. He had been suffering from pancreatic cancer and was surrounded by his family at the London Clinic. Our most heartfelt sympathies go to his family. Jon Lord, a giant among men, R.I.P.


Mark Stanway (Magnum):
RIP Jon Lord!!! A truly sad loss, a great influence to me and probably the best rock organist ever. Remembered for ever :(


Kevin Shirley (Producer):
So sad.
Jon Lord. R.I.P.
Legend!
  Deep condolences to the Lords.


Joe Bonamassa:
I am extremely saddened to hear of the passing of Jon Lord this morning. I had the honor of playing music with him twice in my life. He was one of the nicest, humble and most talented people I have ever met. My thoughts and prayers are with his family right now. Rest in Peace my friend.


Joe Satriani:
R.I.P. Jon, we will miss you.


and finally, from Deep Purple comes this tribute:


Jon Lord
Our beloved Jon passed away on this day Monday 16th July 2012.
We have lost a dear friend, a brother and a wonderful musician.

His dignity and graciousness touched us all. His music was an inspiration and took us to places beyond our imagination…
A truly great man.

We humbly express our eternal love and great respect.

Deep Purple



To pay complete respect for this legendary player, there will be no other news items today.

RIP Jon Lord
June 9th, 1941 - July 16th, 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment